Recently, I’ve had a few people ask me about the workouts I do at the Lincoln Memorial. They’ve either seen my posts, or pics that I’m tagged in. Hooray for Instagram. Hi, my name is Rebecca and I am an Instagramaholic. But I digress…
The group is called November Project DC (shout out to Molly for introducing me to the tribe a little over a year ago), and their mission is to bring free fitness to cities across America. Oh, and it’s a group of anywhere from 50-200+ people. It’s freakin’ awesome. I found that it was a great addition to my routine, which mostly consisted of running days and lifting days. It got me outside more, and helped me work on muscles that I wasn’t reaching at the gym. It’s also a different form of cardio than my body is used to.
Question: What’s the key to great calves?
Answer: Running stairs. #JustShowUp
You can read more about NP, including the tribes from other US cities here. But the DC tribe meets Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays at 6:30 a.m. to 7:30-ish. (if you’re insane, they’ve also got a 5:30 a.m. group on Wednesdays). Here is a general idea of what the workouts look like:
- Monday: Meridian Hill Park – Run hills. Die a little. Give sweaty hugs. Love yourself later.
- Wednesday: Lincoln Memorial – Run stairs. Mix in some body-weight strength training and aerobic exercises. Leave with a phone full of sunrise pics, and a handful of new friends.
- Friday: Location TBD – Each Friday, NP meets at a different location around the city. You’ll learn 15 ways to use a park bench for exercise, and other useful tips.
GO TO NP IF:
- You want to change-up your workouts.
- You need motivation to get out of bed early.
- You just want to make friends.
- You like pretty pictures.
- You want to push yourself really hard, or take it easy and have a lighter day. Difficulty is TOTALLY up to you.
- You want to be a part of a free fitness group that is growing in size all across America and getting national media attention.
DO NOT GO TO NP IF:
- You hate fun.
- You hate hugs.
- You hate the word “fuck.”
- You hate the idea of working out and have no intention of changing your mind about this (also, why are you reading this blog…?).
- You hate people.
- You hate pretty pictures.
- You hate dogs. Sometimes there are dogs there! Ahhhh I love dogs.
- You can’t get past the name. After a year, I still have no idea why “November” is in the name.
So, I am going to consider this my #verbal for tomorrow’s workout, and I’m going to leave you with an optional, but highly encouraged, FUCK YEAH!
Watch this to find out why “November” is in the name.
LikeLiked by 1 person
I’ve lived in DC for over a year now and I’ve never heard of this before! I may drag my friend with me next week to try it out 🙂 So glad I stumbled across this blog today!