Recently, I’ve had a few people ask me about the workouts I do at the Lincoln Memorial. They’ve either seen my posts, or pics that I’m tagged in. Hooray for Instagram. Hi, my name is Rebecca and I am an Instagramaholic. But I digress…
The group is called November Project DC (shout out to Molly for introducing me to the tribe a little over a year ago), and their mission is to bring free fitness to cities across America. Oh, and it’s a group of anywhere from 50-200+ people. It’s freakin’ awesome. I found that it was a great addition to my routine, which mostly consisted of running days and lifting days. It got me outside more, and helped me work on muscles that I wasn’t reaching at the gym. It’s also a different form of cardio than my body is used to.
Question: What’s the key to great calves?
Answer: Running stairs. #JustShowUp
You can read more about NP, including the tribes from other US cities here. But the DC tribe meets Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays at 6:30 a.m. to 7:30-ish. (if you’re insane, they’ve also got a 5:30 a.m. group on Wednesdays). Here is a general idea of what the workouts look like:
- Monday: Meridian Hill Park – Run hills. Die a little. Give sweaty hugs. Love yourself later.
- Wednesday: Lincoln Memorial – Run stairs. Mix in some body-weight strength training and aerobic exercises. Leave with a phone full of sunrise pics, and a handful of new friends.
- Friday: Location TBD – Each Friday, NP meets at a different location around the city. You’ll learn 15 ways to use a park bench for exercise, and other useful tips.
GO TO NP IF:
- You want to change-up your workouts.
- You need motivation to get out of bed early.
- You just want to make friends.
- You like pretty pictures.
- You want to push yourself really hard, or take it easy and have a lighter day. Difficulty is TOTALLY up to you.
- You want to be a part of a free fitness group that is growing in size all across America and getting national media attention.
DO NOT GO TO NP IF:
- You hate fun.
- You hate hugs.
- You hate the word “fuck.”
- You hate the idea of working out and have no intention of changing your mind about this (also, why are you reading this blog…?).
- You hate people.
- You hate pretty pictures.
- You hate dogs. Sometimes there are dogs there! Ahhhh I love dogs.
- You can’t get past the name. After a year, I still have no idea why “November” is in the name.
So, I am going to consider this my #verbal for tomorrow’s workout, and I’m going to leave you with an optional, but highly encouraged, FUCK YEAH!